This kind of effect can be easily done with Photoshop or whatever, just reflecting the image and aplying a distort and a gradient mask, but hey! those 5 minutes per image are priceless! So I decided to make a small app that allows you to create this kind of effect in 5 seconds.
Probably there´s already something similar out there (see below), but I do it just for fun and to practice some new things I´m explaining below. I will upload the source code here or at TheCodeProject, so you all can check how it´s done.
- Automatic reflection using a reflection polygon to specify the shape of the form to reflect
- Automatic reflection distortion
- Automatic alpha gradient with different gradient modes
- Image resizing and re-locating
- Post-processing effects for reflection: Blur, Alpha Texture, ...
- Supports following formats: BMP, JPEG, TGA, PNG, DDS, DIB, HDR, PPM, PFM
- Developed in Visual C# Express
- All the maths and graphics done with XNA
- Shows integration between XNA and Windows Forms
1.- Take the original picture:
2.- Apply my XNAImageReflector: with blur post processing turned on
As you can see, the cool thing of all this stuff (appart from the post-proc effects) is that you can build a path that will define the shape of the reflection. Not just vertical or horizontal reflections, which are Ok for non-perspective objects, but that doesn´t work well on logos like this one.
3.- Save the final image:
Other examples created with XNAImageReflector:
This one shows the Alpha Texture post processing effect too:
Similar projects and tutorials I´ve found:
- A web based reflector.
- A tutorial on making reflections with WPF.
- A tutorial about making the same thing with Photoshop.
- Some tips about making it with ImageMagick
- Something similar in C#
- Another tutorial about doing it with Adobe Illustrator