Saturday, 12 January 2008

MMC cannot open the file XXX.msc

A copule of weeks ago, my home machine started to show a weird behavior. Suddenly, both Diskeeper nor the normal windows defrag.msc didn´t work.

The message was something like:

"mmc cannot open the file XXX.MSC. This may be because the file does not exist,is not an MMC console, or was created by a later version of MMC. This may also because you do not have sufficient access rights to the file "

Right, after googling it I´ve found several solutions. Ones say that this fixed their problem (enabling offline files). Others (like me) fixed it running:

regsvr32 "C:\windows\system32\msxml3.dll"

This will re-register msxml3.dll. If successful, a dialog will come up saying that, and now your msc files should work again.

I don´t have a clue about what caused this problem. Anyone knows?

Thanks!

5 comments:

Grant Lawsky said...

Thanks.... this worked for me :)

Anonymous said...

This worked for me as well - thanks! Seem to be having a lot of MSXML and/or MMC related problems and can't seem to get a permanent fix. Very frustrating!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, i have been searching for a long time, not only did it fix my MMC mess but i can now open my Device manager, my IE scripts run now, and system restore is no longer a blank page.

Thank you much,

Rick

maraconover said...

oh wow..what a help this was!! yay! *high fives for the person who posted this one!

Anonymous said...

Thank you. This worked for me too.

My symptoms were that I could not open any MMC's but also my Norton Ghost service would not connect to my computer.

Would love to know what caused this!